Wednesday, April 11, 2007
But did Roger Dorn get to pinch hit?
Apparently the Cleveland Indians' debut at Miller Park in Milwaukee was a smash hit after all.
The team was forced to move their games to Milwaukee because of the unplayable conditions at Jacobs Field. So with a bunch of games already cancelled, they opted to shift venues and the enclosed ballpark in Milwaukee was the best fit.
So some highlights from the wild affair last night:
- Over 19,000 fans bought tickets, available for $10 each, and filled the first and second decks.
- Tribe mascot "Slider" made the the trip and took over Bernie Brewers house high above left field.
- The Indians e-mailed the video graphics to Milwaukee's scoreboard operator to upload them onto Miller Park's Jumbotron. The Indians' theme song – "Are you ready to rock? Are you ready to scream? It's Tribe time!" played at the intro.
- That drum guy who sits out in left field at the Jake was flown in by the team to...ummm... bang his drum.
- Pitcher Joe Borowski entered the game in the 9th to close, accompanied to the strains of the Troggs "Wild Thing".
- Milwaukeeans got their mojo in the act as well, doing their slow motion version of The Wave as done at University of Wisconsin football games. And yes, the Sausage Race ran in the 6th as scheduled!
And oh yes, Cleveland beat Anaheim 7-6. Wow does this sound like a lot of fun! Wish we had been there to be a part of it all.
More from the Cleveland Plain Dealer.